Anna Marie

Friday, April 13, 2012

Lunapads Review


So when you're already using cloth diapers and reusable bags, and reusable snack bags, and prefolds for paper towels, what's the natural step when your menstrual cycle starts? Cloth menstrual pads.

I know what you might be thinking, "Ew, that's gross!", but why not? I'm already washing diapers. What's it going to matter if I throw some pads in there?

Since I waited until mine were in the wash to do this review, I'll have to use a  upload a picture later. For now, here's the website Lunapads with the starter kit.



Frugal Mama Review: Lunapads

I was sent a postpartum pad and a regular pad from Lunapads to use to show my clients how nice cloth pads were. I loved the feel of them and decided to buy a couple to try out. They took a while to get here, but made it just in time for my next menstrual cycle.


I was hooked! I love them!

Cost: 4 out of 5
To figure up the cost savings here, I checked the price of my preferred store brand of maxi pads. $7 for a pack of 45. Since I easily go through 45 or more in a cycle, I multiplied that by 12, and then by 5,. That was a grand total of 2,700. At $7 a pack, you'll spend $386 in a 5-year span.  For a starter pack of lunapads the cost is $75. (Lunapads.com has an extensive cost savings analysis if you want more in-depth savings breakdown.) 

This means that in a 5-year span I will save $311 using the starter kit, which includes enough to get you through one cycle. This isn't nearly the amount of savings I get from using cloth diapers, but every little bit counts!

Design/Functionality: 5 out of 5
Made of 2 layers of 100% cotton flannel, 2 layers of 100% cotton fleece, and 1 layer of absorbent nylon, these pads can't be beat! In one day I would need 4-5 disposable pads, whereas I only need 1 cloth pad a day. The designs are cute, and the fabric is soft. Surprisingly not as bulky as disposable pads, and much more breathable. They're also more absorbent, so you feel more comfortable!

Frugal Mama Rating: 4 out of 5
I don't like the idea of paying $14.99 for a single pad, but I haven't tried to make my own or buy any WAHM pads yet. I may be able to find a better price, and I will share those experiences as well. All in all though, I love my mama cloth!

Good day, and God Bless

Frugal Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment