Anna Marie

Friday, April 20, 2012

Adventures in Soap Making


I received my Soap Making starter kit today! 
For $30 I got:
2.2 lbs of white soap base
2.2 lbs of clear soap base
1 oval soap mold
3 labColors - Red, Blue, and Yellow
2 Fragrance Oils - Cucumber and Peach

I used the most basic method possible for making my soap. No measuring!

My gear!

Step 1: Cut your soap! Use a sharp knife.

Step 2: Put small chunks of soap in a microwave safe container...

and cover in saran wrap!

You should heat the soap in 30 second - 1 minute intervals until it is completely melted and bubbly.

Step 3: Mix your colors and essential oils!

Step 4: Let Harden!



Final Product!


Cost Breakdown:
Store-bought soap (Dove): A plain bar of Dove soap from the store costs $1.79 (not including tax) for a 3.15 oz bar of soap. That's .57 cents an ounce.

This starter kit for the soap was $30. I was about to make 16 bars of soap at 5.9 oz each.
16 x 5.9 = 94.4 oz
30 / 94.4 = .32 cents per ounce.


1 comment: