Anna Marie

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Flip Diaper Review

Alright, so I've been wanting to do some Cloth Diaper Reviews for a while, and now that I have a new camera and a fairly large stash, I have no excuse. So here we go!

Flips are obviously the first thing on the agenda, as they have been my faithful poop-scooper for over 13 months now. When I first started out, 8 months pregnant, I was looking for THE cheapest option out there, which I was told at Green Baby was Econobums, but...in my opinion, the Econobums were homely, and Frugal Grandmama was helping with the cost, and we both agreed on the Flips.

Flip diapers are All-In-Twos, or AI2. This means that they come with a shell, or cover, and inserts. Not to be confused with Pockets, which have a pocket, hence the name.

 The shell is the colored part. It is made of waterproof PUL (polyurethane laminate) fabric. The insert is made of thick microfiber with a soft top layer to wick moisture away from baby's bottom.

Frugal Mama Review: Flips

Cottonbabies is a leader in the cloth diaper industry, and quite rightly so, they know their stuff. From the fabulous Bumgenious line, to the super cost-effective Econobums, they've managed to produce this beautiful cloth diaper hybrid of both cute, functional, and oh-so-affordable.

Cost: 4 out of 5
I bought 3 packs of Flips. The packs come with 2 covers, and 6 inserts. They are $50 a piece. Since the covers can be cleaned and reused for each change, we'll call that 6 diapers. So for $150 I got 18 diapers. 18 diapers that lasted me for a year. So the cost for a year's worth of diapering, $150.

Without factoring in the cost of washing the diapers, that translates to 2 cent per change.
How is this figured? Because in one year a baby will have an average of 12 diaper changes a day in the first 4 months, down to 4 diaper changes a day by 36 months. That's about 5,826 diaper changes. $150 divided by 5,826 is .02.

Design and Functionality: 3 out of 5
Because this was all I knew, I loved the idea of AI2s, until I used pockets and AIOs for the first time. I still love my Flips, but it's hard to keep the insert in one place. I've had them pop out of the back, or fold over, or get squished between Anna Marie's legs. All these cause leakage. The inserts are also not thick enough for toddler pee, and we started getting a lot of leaks around 11-13 months. This was easily solved by adding a double to the diaper, but this also increased the bulk.

Overall, these diapers have held up remarkably well for the 13 months they've been in use.

Frugal Mama score: 4 out of 5
These diapers are great, and have been loved for the last 13 months. As I've expanded my stash they get used less and less, but they're still great diapers, and for the price, they're simply wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment